(+30) 210 3626971
Dr. Themistoklis K. Giannakopoulos co-heads our market-leading TMT practice (ranked top-tier by the Legal 500).
Prior to this role, he acted as a Senior Counsel and Head of Regulatory at Vodafone in Greece. Themistoklis led a team of 40 individuals which worked on coordinating the company’s regulatory functions.
He was also the regulatory face of the company, interacting with Greek ministries and other regulatory authorities (including supranational EU bodies).
His successes at his prior firm included concluding the network sharing agreement between the firm and another; advising on the legislative framework governing base-station licensing; the acquisition of hol; and completion of a digital dividend spectrum auction. In 2008, Themistoklis was the Chief Legal Counsel and one of the principal negotiators in one of the largest Greek telecoms transactions of recent years.
His experience on the enforcement side of regulation includes tenures as an internal legal advisor at the National Telecommunications and Posts Commission (EETT) and as a trainee at the EU Commission’s competition arm. This experience gave him remarkable insight into the regulatory process.
He was also responsible for enforcement of competition rules and final decisions regarding e-communications companies, where he helped to create the framework for liberalization of the EU telecoms market.
- LL.B., School of Law, University of Athens, Greece
- Erasmus (EU Law), Leiden University, The Netherlands
- LL.M., International and Commercial Law, University of Kent at Canterbury, UK
- Ph.D. on EU Competition Law, European University Institute, Florence, Italy
- Telecommunications, Media and Technology (TMT)
- Compliance (including GDPR) & Corporate Governance
- Antitrust, Competition & Regulatory
- Corporate & Commercial
- EU Law
- Gaming Law
- Energy Law
- Member of the Athens Bar Association
- Former member of the BoD of the American-Hellenic Chamber of Commerce
- Ranked in Chambers & Partners Edition 2020
- Recommended Lawyer for Telecommunications, Media & Technology by “The Legal 500”
Legal 500 EMEA – 2018 Edition
“Themistoklis Giannakopoulos impresses with his dedication and proactive approach’”
Chambers and Partners – 2020 Edition
“Themistoklis Giannakopoulos is recognised for his knowledge in data protection topics. Clients say: “He has tremendous experience in GDPR matters.”
- Safeguarding Companies’ Rights in Competition and Anti-Dumping/Anti-Subsidies Proceedings, (2004), and 2nd ed., (2011), Kluwer Law International
- A Concise Guide to EU Anti-Dumping/Anti-Subsidies Procedures (2006), Kluwer Law International
- Commentary on Competition Law in Greece (2007, 2010, 2011, 2013, and 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019, 2020 (forthcoming), Kluwer Law International
- Various articles on competition legal issues, (i.e. ‘Price squeeze and other abuses of dominance in the Greek e-communications market: The approach of the national e-communications Commission and the administrative Court of Appeals of Athens’, 2011, European Competition Law Review, 32, Issue 9, pp. 27-40.